The Lucid Lynx With Lightware Themes
After 3 alphas,2 betas and a release candidate, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was made availbale to download on mirrors wolrdwide on Apirl 29. In Geekyard.com we published articles related to Ubuntu 10.04 Adds New Lightware Themes & Ubuntu 10.04 Radiance & Ambiance Themes For Google Chrome.In this article I have covered various features of this new release Lucid Lynx.Â Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is also the 12th release of the Ubuntu OS and, being an LTS (Long Term Support) release it will be supported for 3 years on desktops and 5 years on servers.
The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS cool feature tour:
- Improved boot times – The boot speed has been improved through various modern tweaks;
- New boot splash theme – Plymouth replaced Usplash. It is slicker, better looking.
- Home encryption – Available in the installer’s “Who are you?” step;
- Revamped login screen – GDM (GNOME Display Manager) has a new skin (in tone with the new artwork), and has been greatly improved with lots of features;
- 15 new wallpapers – From various photographers around the world;
- Two new themes – the default theme one is black and features Mac-style window buttons;
- Ubuntu One Music Store – enables users to easily buy music online via Rhythmbox. It allows them to preview files!;
- Ubuntu One File Syncing – Just by right clicking on them and selecting the “Synchronize on Ubuntu One” option;
- MP3 support – Easily install just by opening the Rhythmbox music player;
- ipad, iPhone and iPod Touch support – Apple’s devices are now recognizable by Ubuntu, but some limitations exists;
- Ubuntu Software Center – Offers better descriptions and screenshots for many programs.
- New blogging client – Gwibber is a new piece of software that helps you stay in touch with your friends;
- Easy-to-use search tool – Search for Files has been added to the Accessories menu and it allows users to search a folder or the entire system for various files;
- Create and edit your home movies – With PiTiVi, you can edit video files or create movies with chapters;
- Revamped Terminal client – the GNOME Terminal application is now fully skinned to be in tone with the new artwork;
- Support for Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr – …and other popular social networking services;
Included applications In Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
- Calculator 5.28.2 (an arithmetic, scientific or financial calculator);
- CD/DVD Creator 2.30.0 (the built-in CD/DVD burning utility);
- Character Map 2.30.0 (permits to insert special characters into documents);
- Baobab 2.30.0 (disk usage analyzer);
- Gedit 2.30.0 (a small and lightweight text editor with intuitive spell-checker);
- Seahorse 2.30.0 (passwords and encryption keys manager);
- Search for Files (default system search application);
- Gnome Screenshot 2.30.0 (saves images of your desktop or individual windows);
- Gnome Terminal 2.29.6 (allows you to use the command-line);
- Tomboy 1.2.0 (desktop note-taking application).
- F-Spot 0.6.1.5 (photo manager, RAW importer and editor);
- OpenOffice.org Drawing 3.2.0 (drawings, logos, flow charts creator and editor);
- Simple Scan 1.0.2 (scan, copy and fax images).
- Empathy 18.104.22.168 (multi-protocol instant messenger);
- Firefox 3.6.3 (the ever-popular web browser);
- Gwibber 22.214.171.124 (a microblogging client);
- Vinagre 2.30.0 (remote desktop viewer);
- Terminal Server Client 0.150 (rdesktop, vncviewer, wfica, xnest frontend);
- Transmission 1.92 (lightweight BitTorrent client).
- Dictionary 2.30.0 (a tool to search word definitions and spelling in an online dictionary);
- Evolution 2.28.3 (powerful e-mail client);
- OpenOffice.org Suite 3.2.0 (spreadsheet, presentation and word processor).
Sound and Video:
- Brasero 2.30.0 (CD/DVD burning application);
- Totem 2.30.0 (DVD-Video, DivX, XviD, WMV, MOV player);
- PiTiVi 0.13.4 (movie creator and editor);
- Rhythmbox 0.12.8 (Last.fm, radio and music player/organizer);
- Sound Recorder 2.30.0 (audio recording tool).
System Administration Utilities:
- Computer Janitor 1.13.3 (a tool that removes obsolete files and cleans your system);
- Palimpsest Disk Utility 2.30.1 (disk drive management and configuration utility);
- Ubuntu Software Center 2.0.2 (software installer/updater tool).
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
Xubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
Edubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)