If you want to share a video or other file, that seems to be too large to upload, you can use a couple of programs to split the file into smaller parts that can be joined later.
Split Files Using Winzip :
One way is using a Zip utility program, such as WinZip. The following information applies to WinZip. If you are using a different program, refer to its help files if you are unsure how to proceed. To split a Zip file into smaller pieces:
1. Open or create the Zip file.
2. Choose Split from the Actions menu.
3. Specify the name to be used for the split Zip file. The name must be different from the name of the open Zip file.
4. Specify the size to be used for the individual parts. You can choose from common sizes using the Part size drop-down list or you can specify your own size. To specify your own size, choose “Other size” in the drop-down list and type the desired size in the Other size field. You can specify the size in bytes, kilobytes (KB), or megabytes (MB); indicate which you’re using by clicking the appropriate radio button. For uploading to sendspace, make sure you make the split files less than 300MB each.
5. Click OK to create the split Zip file.
Split Files Using Winrar :
Another program you can use, is WinRar. Right-click on the folder or file you want to split, then choose “Add to archive”. A new window pops up, and then you can choose the archive format – RAR or Zip. Zip is a format that can compress the file size a little, but if you want to split the file into a couple of files, you`d better choose RAR. You can also set the compression method (normal will take more time than fastest, for instance) and the most important thing here is “Split to volumes, bytes”. Best size for the parts is 100MB – 98 078k – ZIP 100 because you can upload every part without worrying whether it`s bigger than the upload limit, besides it`s most convenient to download. Click “Ok” and wait till the big files is split into 100MB parts.
Here is a list of some freewares to split large files into smaller ones.
1. Rapid Split :
Rapid Split is an easy-to-use, wizard-based file splitting software with step-by-step assistance in splitting process. It enables you to split files of all types into pieces that can be stored on removable storage media such as floppy disk and zip disk.It allows you to specify the file either split by size or number of pieces and you can also use the predefined sizes for common removable storage media. This software has drag-and-drop functionality and command line operation
2. GSplit :
GSplit is a powerful file splitter that lets you split your large files into a set of smaller files called pieces. These pieces are easier to copy to floppies, distribute over the Internet or through E-mail, share with friends or colleagues, archive to Zip disks or CDs. The pieces can be easily combined, using the generated Self-Uniting Executable, that automatically restores the original file for you without requiring GUnite. GSplit also includes advanced features like different splitting methods CRC32 checks (detects file corruption), splitting logs, keep file information, create specific pieces with your own names and shell integration.
JR Split File allows you to split a large file into smaller files and create a standard .bat file that can be used to reconstruct a copy of the original file.This function is useful for breaking large text files into more usable segments or for breaking a file into segments to fit on multiple diskettes
5. HJSplit ( This is my Fav File Splitter )
HJSplit– Very nice looking freeware file splitter. It splits files of any type and size. Does not need to be installed. Just click on hjsplit.exe and the program starts. This program can even handle files which are larger than 10Gb!