Scientific Linux is a recompiled Red Hat Enterprise Linux put together by various labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to offer a common install base for the various experimenters.The secondary goal is to allow easy customization for a site, without disturbing the Scientific Linux base. The various labs are able to add their own modifications to their own site areas. By the magic of scripts, and the anaconda installer, each site is to be able to create their own distributions with minimal effort. Or, if a users wishes, they can simply install the base SL release.
Packages Added In Scientific Linux:
- 915resolution (a tool to modify Intel graphics chipsetsâ€™ video BIOS)
- Alpine (a tool for reading, sending, and managing electronic messages)
- CFITSIO (Flexible Image Transport System support)
- Cluster Suite & GFS
- FUSE (Filesystem in userspace)
- IceWM (Simple window manager)
- Intel wireless firmware (Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 and 2200 driver)
- JAVA 1.6.0 Update 12
- Korn Shell
- Multimedia codecs (gstreamer, lame, id3tag, mad, etc)
- NumPy (Numeric replacement)
- Performance Co-Pilot
- R (language and environment for statistical computing and graphics)
- r1000 (RealTek Ethernet controllers driver)
- Yum & Yumex
- …and many more!
The following packages were updated, compared to Red Hat Enterprise 4u8 release
- Anaconda 10.1.1.103
- Comps 48-0
- Glade2 2.6.0
- Apache 2.0.52
For a detailed list with all the new/updated packages, please check the official release notes.